A delicious, rustic homemade crusty whole wheat Italian bread that could easily become a favorite for both kids and adults alike. See the recipe below.
- 1 1/4 cups of water (105-115 deg F)
- 2 tablespoon light brown sugar (or dark brown sugar)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal, for dusting baking sheet
~~ For Bread Machine ~~
- Add all ingredients except cornmeal to bread machine pan in the proper area for your machine
- Select dough cycle and start machine
~~ Conventional Method ~~
- In large bowl, dissolve yeast, brown sugar and ginger in warm water.
- Let stand for 5 minutes until yeast forms.
- Add salt and bread flour, then beat well.
- Stir in whole wheat flour to make a stiff dough.
- Turn out onto lightly floured board and knead 10 minutes or until dough is springy, smooth and satiny.
- Wash bowl, grease it, and add dough to in bowl, then turn over to grease top.
- Let rise in a warm place until it doubles in bulk, about 1 hour.
~~ Shaping and Baking ~~
- Lightly oil or grease a 14X17″ baking sheet and sprinkle with cornmeal, then set aside.
- Punch down the dough.
- Divide in half and, on a lightly floured surface, shape into long loaves, rolling each piece first into a 5X12″ rectangle, then rolling each up along the long side to make long, narrow loaf.
- Pinch edges to seal, and taper ends.
- Place loaves, seam side down, on prepared baking sheet
- Let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Make 4-5 slashes across each loaf with sharp knife.
- Brush each loaf with water and sprinkle with whole wheat flour.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degrees F for 15-20 minutes, until loaves are browned and crisp.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- NOTE: I use a spray bottle filled with water and spray the loaves and oven walls once or twice at 5-minute intervals at the beginning of baking.
Nothing beats the aroma and taste of the freshly baked bread 🙂 The kids are always wearing big smiles at the sight of the cut slices as they inhale the smells of this homemade delight.